CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Diving In!

Several years back I got the idea (can't remember where from) to ask some key people in my life to evaluate me as a person, and a leader. To help in the process I gave them specific questions to answer such as: If I worked for you where in your company would I best fit, and what role would you not put me in and why? Some of the answers I got back were, for the most part, accurate of my abilities. Deep down inside I knew what they were going to say before they said it. It was their assessment of me and it was their truth but it wasn't "defining truth". I may have wanted to be the CEO in their eyes but it wasn't the case for me.

I still go back and read those words, not to remind me of what I'm not good at or what I might need to improve, but instead I read those words to remind myself of what it is that not only others see in me but what I know to be true about me. For too many years I have focused on the areas of my life that need improvement when all along I should have been focusing on what is good and natural and how I can do that better. Paul said it best when he said, "...in my weaknesses His strength is made perfect".

The things I'm not good at or don't come natural just pave a way for God to be God in my life so I don't need to focus on my weak spots. Over the past year I have been pushed and prodded by God to be a better dad and husband. So I'm taking the plunge and I'm asking them the questions. Yes, it's going to be scary but I think for me it would be even scarier to stay ignorant to what they already know. So I'm diving into their truth so that I can focus on my strengths as a husband and father and let God be God in those weak spots!

0 comments: