CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 13, 2008

Change has come

For those that may be living in the abyss and haven't heard the big news, we are moving back to Tampa. Moving to help my friend James start a church. In my spirit I have a huge holy expectation. So how did this happen? Where does all of this come from? In a short answer it comes from following hard after God. For the past couple of years I have been living the mantra that following God is risky, it's not comfortable nor do I believe God is interested in making us comfortable more than he is interested in making us contributors in advancing His kingdom.

Two years ago I began to study the life of Jonathon. I came to a pretty wild conclusion that this guy wasn't a push over nor was he not capable of being King. He had all the qualities of a great king but gave up that right for God's annointed. One of my most favorite conversations in the Bible takes place between him and his armor bearer. Jonathon is not content to sit with his father and wait to fight the philistines but instead he takes initiative with one sword and his armor bearer and says, "Perhaps the Lord will act on our behalf". Jonathon not only defeats some 20+ men but he eventually gives up his heir to throne to David and choose to serve. The greatest act one person can do for someone is serve them. Jesus said I did not come to be served but instead to serve.

The more I study Jonathon the more God revealed to me that I was called to be one. God spoke to my heart clearly that I was called to be a Jonathon to a David. Through lots of prayer and conversations with close friends and mentors I knew that if God was showing me to be a modern day Jonathon than he also wanted to show me who my David was. Up to this point I considered it to be my current pastor and while I have complete respect for him and I think him to be an incredible man who loves God with infectious abilities, I asked God the dangerous question, "Who is my David?" It didn't take much for God to respond with a simple anwer but one that would wreck me and my plans. He spoke "James".

From that moment life began to change and more hard times were ahead as I knew that this calling would ultimately impact other people and my only prayer was that the enemy would not get an inch in those relationships. I continue to pray this prayer.

I want to be clear that I am not running from anything. I have not and am not disappointed with my current church or leadership. They have done nothing wrong, which why it makes this decision even harder. Following God just isn't very logical sometimes. For those of you who read this blog will you please be in prayer for me and my family. While we are excited about this move and what God will do we are also expecting Him to fill in all the pieces of the puzzle in His timing. I will need a job so that is a huge prayer request as well as I will be raising support in this new venture. Please pray for my kids and the transition and more than anything else pray this will draw our family closer to Him.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Exciting times! We'll be praying! Keep us posted! Can't wait to see you guys in November!

Jaime Kent said...

I love you and I'm so thankful to be on this amazing journey with you! I'm proud to be married to a man with such passion and determination to follow God!

Sam Mahlstadt said...

the best we can do is follow God, even when it's the hardest for us to do. I am proud to have served with you and been taught by your example.