CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 5, 2008

Circumstances

I have often been one to say that my faith in God can not be dependent on the circumstances swirling around me. But I sometimes wonder how well I do in this department in my life. Do I allow circumstances to overwhelm me when I know God is speaking? Am I really willing to listen and follow even when it doesn't make sense or the conditions are uncomfortable? These are the moments of testing in our lives and the moments I can't stand yet I know that they are necessary. Sometimes we can make assumptions based on the circumstances in our life and say "it must be God". We get ready to go somewhere and our car breaks down and think to ourselves, "well maybe I wasn't suppose to go because if I was then my car would be working, so it must be God". Is that really how God works? Maybe but maybe not. How crazy is Noah for building the ark but how different would the story had been if he measured God based on the circumstances, or Jonathon going to fight the philistines with an armor-bearer and one sword.

I'm learning some valuable things in this season of my life:
1. Just when you think you have God all figured out, you don't
2. Circumstances will never dictate a response from God so you better pray before you assume because you know what happens when you assume?
3. Logic questions God, faith, real faith questions assumptions. (Mark Batterson Wild Goose Chase)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love that very last line. Makes me really think. Good post!

Sara said...

thanks so much for your words of advice..
i can't wait to hear more from you tomorrow night at house party!!
love ya man!!